loader image

Buying Information

Facts about your property in Switzerland

Is the property your own?

Of course. Even apartments are considered freehold. With the purchase you get a share of the entire building and the communal parts. This gives you the right to use your own apartment.

A sort of owners’ association is put together that includes all apartment owners. This is determined in the community order. The owners have complete control of the building and appoint a manager at the annual meeting to take care of the day-to-day running of the property. The budget for the coming year is also set at the annual meeting. Proposals from the manager and the owner are voted on and possible problems are discussed.

Such agreements are often made for a community of several chalets, which often share the costs incurred, e.g. for snow removal and gardening.

Restrictions for foreigners

Can a foreign person buy property in Switzerland?

A foreign person can buy real estate in Switzerland, but there are restrictions. These are decided at the national (federal) level, at the regional level (by the cantons) and even at the local level (by each municipality). Foreign individuals have certain restrictions when it comes to where they can buy, what type and even size of property they can buy.

In fact, foreigners who live outside Switzerland (without a Swiss residence permit) are only allowed to buy real estate for tourist use. The cities such as Geneva, Basel and Zurich are excluded because they are main residences. In most Swiss ski resorts, foreigners are allowed to buy apartments that are considered to be second homes (holiday apartments) because they are located in tourist areas.

Some of the restrictions on the ownership of second home properties by non-Swiss citizens are set by the Swiss Confederation and apply to all 26 cantons, while others are set individually by each canton.

What restrictions are there for property buyers at the national level in Switzerland?

Two essential laws explain the restrictions on the acquisition of real estate in Switzerland. The Lex Koller and Lex Weber were introduced in the 1960s.

Lex Koller

Lex Koller set up a permit system that only allows a foreign buyer to own certain residential properties.

The federal government issues only 1,500 permits for the whole of Switzerland each year and allocates them to the cantons. Tourist cantons like Valais receive the most permits, so it is easiest for foreigners to buy there. Many cantons do not accept any of the permits, which is why foreigners cannot purchase property in cantons such as Geneva.

Lex Koller limits the size of the property to 1,000 m2 that can be sold to foreigners. The living space of the chalet may only be 200 m2 net (in practice this can be increased to a maximum of 250 m2).

Before the purchase process begins, your Swiss notary applies for a permit from the cantonal authority in which your property is located. This usually takes between 4 and 6 weeks. However, the processing time is shorter if the property is already owned by a foreigner.

Lex Weber

In 2012, the Swiss decided in a referendum that no new building permits would be issued for the construction of second homes in municipalities where second homes already account for 20% or more of the total housing stock. This is a federal law that applies to the whole of Switzerland and to Swiss residents and foreigners. Since almost all ski areas fall into this category, it is no longer possible to buy a plot of land and build a new chalet on it.

There are still a few cases where building permits were obtained before the rule change, so that some new chalets and apartments with second home status are still being built. In Grimentz, Saas-Fee and Andermatt, where there is a special exemption, there are still some construction projects where foreigners can buy a new chalet or apartment.

Once these last properties are sold, there will be no more second home properties. It will still be possible to buy a newly built ski property in the planning stage that offers a range of hotel-style services. This must be rented out professionally if it is not used privately.

What restrictions are there for property buyers at regional / local level in Switzerland?

Each of the 26 cantons (member states of the Swiss Confederation) has its own constitution, legislation, government and its own courts. Thus, each canton has different rules for buying real estate for foreign citizens. There are also differences from congregation to congregation.

We have listed the most important Swiss ski areas in which foreigners can purchase real estate in Switzerland, as well as the respective restrictions.

Buy a ski property in the canton of Bern

In the canton of Bern, foreigners are allowed to buy real estate in the holiday resort of Gstaad and in the popular traditional ski areas such as Wengen and Grindelwald in the picturesque Jungfrau region.

In addition, foreigners can resell the real estate. However, they pay a higher rate of capital gains tax if they sell within the first 5 years.

In the lesser-known holiday areas (e.g. Adelboden, Meiringen and even on the lake in Interlaken, Brienz and Unterseen), property is occasionally available to foreigners on the market. The cantonal regulation states that only 50% of the apartments in a building can be sold to foreigners, but so there is still a lot of choice in most resorts. The municipalities impose further restrictions:

In Grindelwald, people from abroad are allowed to buy chalets or apartments, but only above a threshold of CHF 750,000. This means that cheaper properties are only available to locals.

There is no minimum purchase price in Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. Foreigners are only allowed to buy apartments and not free-standing chalets. There is a large selection of properties in Wengen, but experience has shown that these are sold quickly.

Foreign persons can also buy real estate in Mürren, but it is not so easy to buy as most of them are passed on through generations. Real estate rarely comes onto the market. And should this happen, locals are often the first to buy.

Many foreigners have bought real estate in Gstaad and even made it their main residence. Thus this is also the place where they pay taxes.

Interlaken and other communities around the lake have approved the sale of some properties to foreigners.

Buy real estate in the canton of Graubünden

The popular holiday resorts of Davos, Klosters and St. Moritz are located in the canton of Graubünden. It is very difficult to buy a holiday home here.

There are only a few options for people from abroad to buy property in the St. Moritz area. Klosters is an exception. It was decided in 2018 to allow foreigners to buy.

All other places in Graubünden such as Davos, Lenzerheide, Arosa Laax and Flims make some real estate available to foreigners, but these too are rare. In general, western Switzerland offers foreigners more opportunities and easier conditions to acquire property than eastern Switzerland.

Buy real estate in the canton of Obwalden

Engelberg is the only large ski area in Obwalden. Foreigners are allowed to buy here, but there are generally few properties on the market.

Buying a property in the canton of Uri

It is possible for foreigners to buy real estate at the Andermatt resort – even under a (domestic or foreign) company name. The range of new build properties ranges from studios from CHF 300,000 to chalets for several million Swiss francs.

Buy a property in the canton of Valais

There are many popular Swiss ski resorts in the canton of Valais that are visited by foreign buyers. Up to 330 approvals of the annual quota go to buyers from abroad.

The most famous resorts in Valais include Zermatt, Verbier, Nendaz, Crans Montana, Grimentz and Saas-Fee, and foreigners can buy anywhere except in Zermatt.

Zermatt does not allow foreigners to buy real estate there. Swiss and foreign nationals residing in Switzerland (with a B or C residence permit, who are citizens of an EU country) can buy in Zermatt. But some properties are only reserved for “locals” who live in Zermatt and pay their taxes here.

Foreigners can freely buy real estate in Saas-Fee. This is an excellent alternative to Zermatt as it is also a high-altitude attractive village. The prices are only about a third of what you would pay in Zermatt. We currently have a good selection of apartments

Verbier and the 4 Vallees Resorts – La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Les Collons and Veysonnaz – are relatively open to foreign buyers, both with permits for new apartments and for resale of apartments and chalets.

Grimentz, St. Luc and Zinal in Val d’Anniviers have foreigner permits, but most offers are in Grimentz.

Champery and Les Crosets are Swiss resorts in the Portes du Soleil ski area, which crosses borders in both France and Switzerland. Foreigners have the opportunity to buy real estate here.

Leukerbad has a unique range of thermal water and is open to foreigners interested in buying.

A cantonal regulation that applies to all resorts in Valais prohibits foreigners from reselling their property within the first 5 years after purchase. This is only allowed in exceptional cases by providing evidence of health or financial problems.

Purchase of a ski property in the canton Waadt

In the canton Waadt there are relatively few restrictions on property purchases for foreigners and the range of properties is diverse.

Villars is the most famous tourist resort and many foreigners have bought property there as it is only 90 minutes from Geneva and offers a wide range of activities all year round.

Chateau d’Oex and Rougemont are close to Gstaad. The advantage of these resorts is that it is easier and cheaper to buy a property here than in their more well-known neighbouring towns.

Are there still new build properties in the Swiss Alps?

Yes, but not many.

In a referendum in 2012, the Swiss voted that no new building permits should be issued for the construction of second homes in resorts where second homes already account for 20% of total property.

There are still some valid new building permits issued prior to the entry into force of this law. Once these have been sold, no further permits for second homes in the Swiss ski areas will be issued.

However, it will be possible for foreigners to buy apartments or chalets in settlements that offer hotel-like services, provided they are professionally managed and rented out when the owner is not using them.

Properties that have a spa and wellness area, a reception and concierge service, a restaurant or breakfast room, laundry or room service can be classified as “tourist” residences and bought by foreigners.

Such new developments are already coming onto the market, especially in Valais, and are therefore selling well.

Many buyers appreciate these extra offers and services – especially cleaning, room and laundry services – as they allow them to enjoy their family vacation to the fullest and give them more time with friends and family. More and more buyers like to rent out their property when they are not using it. Because they know that their property is in good hands while they are away. A professional rental is therefore possible without any problems.

Some old chalets and hotels have been completely renovated so that they are actually “new” buildings. However, they have the status of a second home, so there is no obligation to rent them out.

Can a foreigner buy more than one property in Switzerland?

No. People from abroad are only allowed to buy one property in Switzerland.

You are not allowed to buy a second home on your husband’s / wife’s behalf, but if you have children over the age of 18, they can buy these properties on their own behalf.

If, as a foreigner, you already own a property, you can inherit another property.

If you have a Swiss B or C residence permit or a Swiss passport, you are considered a Swiss buyer and are no longer bound by these restrictions.

Are there any restrictions on reselling a property in Switzerland?

In some cantons such as Valais and Waadt, foreigners are prohibited from reselling their property within the first 5 years after purchase. This restriction does not apply if you have a good reason to sell the property, such as illness, financial problems or no profit.

Some cantons such as Bern and Obwalden allow you to resell the property immediately – however, you must expect higher capital gains tax for the first 5 years.

Purchase process and costs

What is the buying process like when buying a property in Switzerland?

There are differences in the process of buying a property in Switzerland from case to case, depending on whether you are buying a new property, where you are buying exactly and what your nationality is. However, the process remains broadly the same.

Make a deal

The process begins with the creation of an offer. This offer is made by a broker and they will advise you on a reasonable starting point. It is common for buyers and sellers to negotiate property in the Swiss Alps for a while. Some sellers are more willing and more open to offers than others.


After the price has been agreed, you may be asked to sign a reservation contract. For projects off-plan, regardless of whether it is new construction or renovation, you will always be asked to sign a reservation contract and pay a small deposit. As a gesture of goodwill, however, this is also becoming more and more common for resale properties. The developer or seller will countersign the contract and the property will not be marketed to other potential buyers for a period while you prepare your mortgage application and begin the buying process.

Secure funding

If you want to take a mortgage, you should apply for it first. You can receive up to 70% of the purchase price at Swiss banks. You should keep in mind that local banks and local bank managers have a much better understanding of the local real estate markets in Switzerland’s top ski destinations. It is best to reach out to a local bank that offers both the best insight and value.

Hiring a notary

Once you have received a mortgage offer, a notary will be hired to manage the sale on behalf of the buyer as well as the seller. Usually, the notary is appointed by the agency or the cooperating agencies that handled the sale. Notaries act impartially in the interests of both parties and bill according to fixed fees, so it makes sense to choose the recommended notary. The brokers recommend notaries who have performed best with their buyers in the past.

Foreigner Purchase Permit

The notary has to collect the necessary information for the sale. This includes basic information about the buyers, basic information about the sellers, and information about the property for sale. This information is necessary in order to prepare an application for a foreign national purchase permit and a draft contract of sale. All foreign buyers in Switzerland must apply for and present a purchase permit before they can complete a purchase by signing the purchase deed. The application is drawn up by the notary and submitted to the canton for approval. This usually takes 2-4 weeks and will only be rejected if you already own another property in Switzerland or if the property does not meet the requirements.

If you are resident in Switzerland and have a Swiss passport or a B / C permit, you do not need to apply for a purchase permit. This means that the purchase of a property can be accelerated by around 2-4 weeks on average.

Purchase contract

After receiving the foreigner purchase permit, the purchase contract must be signed within 30 days. This can be done either in person or by power of attorney. Well over 90% of the sales we have agreed to in Switzerland are concluded with a power of attorney for reasons of convenience. The notary also works with the bank to register your mortgage.

Land register and handover

After the purchase contract has been signed, it is sent to the land registry. It usually takes a few weeks for the sale to be entered in the land register, but many sellers and buyers agree to the handover of the keys – and thus responsibility for the property – immediately after the contract has been signed, as the sale is then completed. With the entry in the land register, the sale is formally closed.

All in all, the process can take 2-4 months. It may sound a bit complicated, but it’s basically very simple and we are happy to help buyers (and sellers) with it.

What are the acquisition costs when buying a property in Switzerland?

The buyer assumes all additional purchase costs. The seller pays nothing. There are no notary fees when selling your property.

Switzerland is one of the cheapest countries in Europe to buy or sell a property. The total ancillary purchase costs (including notary fees, land registry fees and taxes) are between 2.5% and 5% of the purchase price and vary from canton to canton. Notary fees and buyer taxes are set by the local authorities in Switzerland and levied on a fixed scale, taking into account factors such as mortgage and purchase price.

You can roughly assume the following total costs:

Canton of Bern (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Grindelwald)

The additional purchase costs amount to 3% of the purchase price.

Canton of Graubünden

The additional purchase costs amount to 2.5% of the purchase price.

Canton Uri (Andermatt)

The ancillary purchase costs for the purchase of new buildings in Andermatt amount to 0.4% of the purchase price. These are shared between the buyer and seller.

Canton of Valais (Saas Fee, Verbier etc.)

The ancillary purchase costs are usually between 2.5% and 3.8% of the purchase price.

Canton of Waadt (Gstaad and Villars)

The additional purchase costs amount to 5% of the purchase price.

Mortgage Registration

This is levied on a scale that differs in the various cantons. In the canton of Valais, it is usually gradual, starting at 1% up to CHF 200,000, 0.8% up to CHF 500,000 and approx. 0.7% over 1 million Swiss francs. In the canton of Waadt, it is calculated on a sliding scale that starts at 0.6% of the loan amount but can go down to 0.44%. When buying a resale property, you can take over the existing mortgage letter and avoid the registration fee. You can borrow from the same bank as the previous owner, or you can pay off the loan and use the mortgage deed to borrow from another bank.

Canton of Bern (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Grindelwald)

The additional purchase costs amount to 3% of the purchase price.

Canton of Graubünden

The additional purchase costs amount to 2.5% of the purchase price.

Canton of Valais (Saas Fee, Verbier etc.)

The ancillary purchase costs are usually between 2.5% and 3.8% of the purchase price.

Canton of Waadt (Gstaad and Villars)

The additional purchase costs amount to 5% of the purchase price.

Notary fees and buyer taxes are set by the local authorities in Switzerland and are levied on a fixed scale, taking into account factors such as mortgage and purchase price.

What building guarantees are there?

  • New properties: 5 years for visible construction defects, 10 years for hidden defects.
  • Resale Properties: There are no guarantees.

Do i need a lawyer?

An official Swiss notary in the district acts for both the buyer and the seller. You pay the deposit and all payments to the notary’s account.

Are foreign purchase permits ever denied?

Almost never. This is a formality and approval is usually granted in a few weeks. It will only be rejected if you already own another property in Switzerland or if the property does not comply with the regulations.

If I sell my property in Switzerland, when will I receive the sales proceeds?

If you sell your Swiss property to a person from abroad, the notary will not transfer the sales proceeds to you until the sale has been entered in the land register. This currently takes several weeks. The notary also has to withhold 5% of the sales price to pay any outstanding taxes.

Buying off-plan

How does it work if I buy off-plan?

First you pay in an amount and then the bank takes over the rest of the stage payments as construction progresses. Each developer has a different payment structure, but typically a down payment is around CHR 50,000 to reserve an off-plan property. 10% of this when the purchase contract is signed and then when the foundations and later the roof are started. The remaining payment takes place when the keys are handed over. If you do take out bank financing, you pay the first 30% and the bank takes care of the rest of the tiered payments.


How much can I borrow from a Swiss bank?

Swiss banks lend up to 70% of the purchase price. The loan is usually granted in the form of an overdraft secured on the property with a term of 25 years.

Citizens of the United States of America and some other countries may find it difficult to borrow from Swiss banks – please ask us for details.

How much will the bank charge and what is the interest rate?

As a rule, Swiss banks do not charge an installation fee and do not require life insurance. The cost of registering the mortgage varies from canton to canton, but does not exceed 1.6% of the loan amount.

Interest is paid quarterly on the capital balance outstanding during this period. The repayments will therefore be higher in previous years, but will decrease with the repayment of the capital. Swiss interest rates are the cheapest in Europe – they are currently around 1% variable or fixed at 1.5% in the long term.

Can I pay in pounds or dollars?

You have to pay for your property in Swiss Francs.

The best way to transfer money from other currencies in Swiss Francs is to hire a dedicated forex broker. The advantage of working with a specialized foreign exchange partner is that they offer better rates than the main banks and that they can advise you as a specialist in foreign exchange buying.

Buying as a company

Can I buy a property on behalf of a company in Switzerland?

Usually, no. A foreign person must buy on their own behalf, but there are exceptions. At the resorts you have to buy in your own name, but this can be done in multiple names and in different stocks. This is great for estate planning. So your children would also be entered directly in the title deeds.

Rental income and running costs

What rental income can I expect?

The rental yields in the French, Swiss and Austrian Alps vary between 3 and 5%, depending on a variety of factors such as the type of resort, the location of the property within the resort (ski-in and ski-out properties require a premium), the equipment of the apartment and the services within the complex.

At first glance, it may appear that buying a property in a resort with two seasons will result in higher rental income. While your property will surely benefit from renting out all year round, and not just during the winter months, properties in dual season resorts tend to generate rental income similar to properties in resorts that focus on the winter season. The two main reasons for this are that rental rates are significantly lower in the summer season and that many dual season resorts are at lower elevations, which means a shorter winter season.

How easy is it to rent out my property?

Local agents can take over the management and rental of your property if you wish to rent it out. Rental agencies charge around 20% on bookings, so some owners use international rental agencies and portals, and others even create their own websites.

Renting out your property while you are away can easily provide enough income to cover annual running costs, especially if you rent out during peak periods such as Christmas, New Years, all of February and Easter. In every resort there are companies that professionally clean and reliably maintain your property between rentals.

How high are the taxes on rental income in Switzerland?

If you rent out a rental and fill out a Swiss tax form instead of being assessed on the basis of the notional tax value, you will be taxed on the rental income actually generated after deducting some expenses and the interest on your mortgage. Tax rates vary, but you will likely pay around 20% tax.

You may be taxable in your country of residence, but most countries have a double taxation treaty with Switzerland so you don’t pay your taxes twice.

What are the likely annual operating costs?

The annual operating costs are not high in Switzerland.

The additional costs for an apartment building are divided proportionally among the owners according to the size of the apartment. These costs include the caretaker, the maintenance of the building and the site such as snow removal and gardening, electricity and heating for the non-private areas. In addition, there is construction insurance, which is relatively cheap in Switzerland, and a contribution to the building’s renovation fund.

The service fee is usually payable annually. Apartments with a swimming pool and other service facilities tend to be more expensive and the fees also vary from canton to canton. Normally they amount to around 0.5% of the property value per year in Valais up to around 0.75% in Waadt. For example, you could expect a service fee of around CHF 5,000 per year for a 3-room apartment.

Additional costs are incurred through the self-consumption of electricity and water. Switzerland relies on hydropower, which is comparatively very cheap. Household contents insurance is also rather cheap in Switzerland. The crime rate is very low.

Chalets are inexpensive to maintain – especially when they’re new, so very little maintenance is required.

Do properties guarantee rental income?

Such guarantees are very rare. We currently have no properties with guaranteed rental income in Switzerland or France.

Rental obligations

Do I have to rent out my property if I am not using it?

No. You are free to rent out your property as you wish – or not. It is expected that the owner or his friends or family will use the property for at least three weeks per year, so that the property cannot be rented out on an annual basis (maximum 11 months and one week). In some larger settlements that do not have second home status, there may be a rental regulation.

Investment and sale

Is Swiss real estate a good investment?

Since the supply of new second homes has always been strictly controlled and the new regulations now prohibit any future construction of second homes, Swiss real estate is a very safe investment. Prices do not rise dramatically, but they do not crash even in troubled times.

The most important plus point for foreign investors is the Swiss franc, one of the strongest currencies in the world. Swiss real estate has historically been of very constant value and real estate in the best ski areas is always valued.

What taxes are incurred when selling real estate?

If you resell your property, you will incur a cantonal capital gains tax on the difference between the sale and purchase price. When calculating the tax, you can deduct the acquisition and disposal costs such as notary fees and broker’s commission as well as costs for special renovation work to improve the property. The rate of capital gains tax decreases with each year of ownership. In Valais, for example, it starts at 30% if you sell within a year and drops to 9% after 10 years and to 1% after 25 years.

You may be taxable in your country of residence, but Switzerland has a double taxation treaty with most countries, which allows you to offset all taxes paid in Switzerland so you don’t have to pay double taxes.

Inheritance of real estate in Switzerland – how does it work?

In order to manage your property, we recommend that you either draw up a codicil – a testamentary disposition – for your existing will and send it to your Swiss notary, or have a new, separate will for your property in Switzerland drawn up by a Swiss notary.

Inheritance tax is due in Switzerland, but it is much lower than in most European countries and Great Britain. The inheritance tax is a cantonal tax and varies from canton to canton. In most cantons there is no taxation between spouses and in the canton of Valais (Verbier) there is no inheritance tax if the assets are inherited through direct relatives.

In the canton of Waadt (Villars) the tax is progressive – starting at 1.8% for real estate up to a value of CHF 500,000, increasing to 5,068% if the tax value of the property is over 1 million Swiss francs. If the property is registered in multiple names, only the deceased’s share of ownership will be taxed.

Your estate may be taxable in the country in which you live, but if there is a double taxation agreement with Switzerland, as agreed with most countries, you will receive a tax credit for all taxes paid in Switzerland.

Annual property taxes

How high are the annual property taxes?

Foreign persons who own a property in Switzerland pay taxes to three corporations – the federal government, the canton and the municipality. The cantonal and municipal taxes vary. Owners have the choice of filling out a tax return disclosing their global assets or simply having the tax value of their property in Switzerland illustrated. Most owners choose to give it a rating.

The tax is calculated on the basis of the imputed rental value – the rental value taxation of owner-occupied properties – that could be obtained from the property. This value is based on the “taxable value” of the property (approx. 60% of the market value). With this calculation, the total annual taxes in Valais are around 0.5% of the market value of the property, while taxes in Waadt are somewhat higher at around 0.8%. The canton of Valais does not reassess the tax value of real estate, so you will likely be paying the same tax rate in 10 years as you are today. The canton of Waadt, on the other hand, re-evaluates real estate roughly every 5 years.

For example, you should expect a total tax of around CHF 5,000 per year for a 3-room apartment in Valais. You would pay almost the same annual tax amount if you chose to rent out your apartment or use it solely for your own needs.

Residence in Switzerland and Swiss domicile

How long can I stay in Switzerland?

Citizens from Schengen countries (EU) – Switzerland has been a member of the Schengen area since December 12, 2008 and therefore applies the same rules as all Schengen countries – citizens can stay up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Citizens from Great Britain – Since Brexit on January 1, 2021, citizens from Great Britain and Northern Ireland have been treated as “third country nationals”, but are exempt from the visa requirement when entering Switzerland. You are allowed to stay in Switzerland for tourism purposes for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Citizens from “third countries” – do I have to apply for a visa?

It depends on your nationality. Many third-country nationals do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days, but see the official guidelines for a full list.

Can I stay longer if I own a property in Switzerland?

Owning a property in Switzerland does not entitle you to enter or stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days.

Anyone who wants to work during their stay in Switzerland or stay for longer than three months needs a permit. Residence permits are issued by the cantonal migration offices. A distinction is made between short-term residence permits for less than 1 year, limited annual residence permits and unlimited permanent residence permits.

Can I live in Switzerland?

It is much easier for holders of an EU passport to work and / or live in Switzerland than for other citizens. There are two types of permits – a B permit, which gives you the right to stay in Switzerland (but not to work), or a permit, which grants you both the right to work and to reside. If you have received a residence permit for Switzerland, you can buy property that would otherwise not be accessible to a person from abroad.

To work in Switzerland, you either need an employment contract from a Swiss company or you can set up your own company or become self-employed, but you have to prove that this equates to employment for Swiss nationals with an annual income of over CHF 50,000.

Retirement in Switzerland – You can receive a B permit if you have reached the age of 50, have sufficient financial means and have private Swiss health insurance. The costs are around CHF 120 per month. You also have to pay taxes in Switzerland. This is known as “taxe a forfait” and is a fixed 5-year tax contract that your advisor negotiates in advance with the local tax office.

EC residence permits are valid for five years and are automatically extended if the requirements are still met.

For non-EU citizens, applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but typically the requirements are as follows:

– upon retirement: reaching retirement age i.e. from the age of 60

– Proof that you do not have any work in Switzerland

– Proof of sufficient financial means to live in Switzerland – without working and regardless of personal ties to people in Switzerland

Square meter calculations

How is the floor space for Swiss real estate calculated?

In Switzerland there is no law that prescribes the calculation of living space. This results in cantonal differences when calculating the area of ​​real estate.

In the canton of Waadt, the key figure is – generally speaking – the net floor area, i.e. net living area plus interior walls and exterior areas.

In the canton of Valais, the gross floor area is the benchmark. As a rule, the square meters of all rooms and the surface of all walls, including load-bearing and non-load-bearing walls and facades, are recorded.

Ihr Apartment in der Residence du Glacier

Eines der Highlights Ihres Apartments ist die unbeschreibliche Aussicht.

Ein Blick auf die umwerfende Natur und die überwältigende Berg- und Gletscherwelt liegt Ihnen von allen Seiten Ihres Apartments aus zu Füssen.